University Attending Veterinarian & Director of Comparative Medicine Group
Department: 3670050090 University Veterinarian
Job no: 510282
Employment type: Staff Full Time (Unclassified - Regular)
Location: Manhattan, Kansas
Categories: Veterinary Medicine
Pay Grade: 13B
About This Role:
The Director of the Comparative Medicine Group (CMG) and University Attending Veterinarian has the primary responsibility for providing veterinary clinical care and research support for animal research and teaching activities in K-State animal research facilities managed by the College of Veterinary Medicine, College of Agriculture, College of Arts and Science, and College of Health and Human Sciences. Key duties include:
- Supervises the CMG staff and is responsible for overseeing the financial management of animal care and use facilities
- Works closely with Animal Facility Manager(s) to oversee daily operations in animal care
- Provides training and guidance to research personnel on animal handling, experimental animal techniques/procedures, and animal biosafety level (e.g., ABSL-1, ABSL-2, & ABSL-3) practices and procedures as required
- Has direct responsibility for ensuring that all veterinary clinical standards of care, laws, regulations, and guidelines related to animal care and use, and biosafety/biosecurity are met
- Directs CMG staff in working with the URCO staff on research compliance matters dealing with the Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC) and the Institutional Biosafety Committee (IBC)
- May be appointed by the K-State Institutional Official (IO) to serve as a voting member of the IACUC and IBC committees
Why Join Us:
The mission of the Comparative Medicine Group is to facilitate animal use in research and teaching, at the College of Veterinary Medicine at Kansas State University by providing high-quality animal care in accordance with both federal and state regulations and AAALAC guidelines.
Kansas State University offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes health insurance, life insurance, retirement plans, paid time off - vacation, sick, and holidays. To see what benefits are available, please visit: https://www.k-state.edu/hcs/benefits
We Support Diversity and Inclusion:
Kansas State University embraces diversity and inclusion. The university actively seeks individuals who foster a collegial environment and cooperative interactions with coworkers, students, and others. The University is dedicated to promoting the Principles of Community.
What You'll Need to Succeed:
- DVM or equivalent degree from an AVMA Council on Education accredited veterinary college or school and be eligible for licensure to practice veterinary medicine in the State of Kansas
- AVMA Board Certified Laboratory Animal Veterinarian (Diplomate of the American College of Laboratory Animal Medicine)
- Minimum of 5 years' experience with a wide array of research animal experience in both laboratory and livestock-based settings
- MS or PhD in a related field
- Demonstrated experience in establishing positive relationships with investigators and other key stakeholders
- Supervisory experience and knowledge of financial management for animal care and use facilities
- Experience working with animals in ABSL-2 and ABSL-3Ag biocontainment facilities using applicable biosafety practices
- Experience with AAALAC accreditation, experience working with an IACUC, working knowledge of the Ag Guide and PHS Policy on Humane Care and Use of Laboratory Animals
- Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States at the time of employment.
- Must pass a National Select Agent security risk assessment. This is required for the employee to work at the BRI with select agents.
- Must be able to pass an occupational health physical screening exam and a medical evaluation/clearance to wear respiratory PPE.
- Ability to lift 50lbs. with or without accommodation.
- Must be physically able to handle/restrain commonly used laboratory animals and/or livestock.
- Must be physically able to perform routine veterinary examinations/treatments/procedures/surgery.
- Ability to work evenings, weekends, and holidays as needed on an on-call basis.
- Valid driver's license
How to Apply:
In order to receive full consideration, applicants must complete the online application and upload the following documents:
- Cover letter
Screening of Applications Begins:
Screening will begin immediately and continue until filled.
Anticipated Hiring Salary Range:
Salary commensurate with experience.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Kansas State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer of individuals with disabilities and protected veterans and actively seeks diversity among its employees.
Background Screening Statement:
In connection with your application for employment, Kansas State University will procure a Background Screen on you as part of the process of considering your candidacy as an employee.
Advertised: Apr 15, 2021
Application Closes: Open until filled
To apply, visit https://careers.k-state.edu/cw/en-us/job/510282/university-attending-veterinarian-director-of-comparative-medicine-group
Copyright 2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency