Prairie View A&M University
Prairie View A&M University
Cooperative Agricultural Research Center
Proposed Minimum Salary
Prairie View, Texas
Implements the veterinary care program, and in conjunction with other animal care managers oversees the adequacy of all other aspects of animal care and use, e.g., animal husbandry, nutrition, sanitation practices, zoonosis control, and hazard containment; assists research scientists and graduate students with research activities, and supports student development programs.
- Develop and oversee the implementation of a program of veterinary care for University animals including goats, cattle, and poultry.
- In conjunction with other animal care managers, oversee the adequacy of all other aspects of animal care and use, e.g., animal husbandry, nutrition, sanitation practices, zoonosis control, and hazard containment, that ensure animal well-being.
- Assist research scientists and graduate students with research activities.
- Supervise the work of veterinary care staff; direct and approve personnel actions, including but not limited to performance evaluations, disciplinary actions, and training.
- Observe University and CAHS administrative policies to insure full compliance with mandated training and implementation of the institutional program for animal care and use.
- Maintain veterinary medical records.
- Serve as a full or alternate member of the Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee.
- Develop or collaborate with outreach/extension programs.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Required Education, Licensure, and Experience:
- DVM/VMD from AVMA-accredited university
- USDA Category II Accreditation
- Licensed to practice in at least one US state, with ability to obtain Texas veterinary licensure within first 12 months of employment
- Ability to obtain a federal DEA license
- Three years or more related experience in veterinary health care, especially pertaining to livestock and production animal medicine
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of veterinary health care and familiarity with procedures in reproductive technology.
- Knowledge of enhancement to, or newly-developed treatment techniques and options especially as they relate to agricultural species.
- Ability to multitask and work cooperatively with others, including those with different backgrounds and experiences.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to maintain veterinary professional status by staying up-to-date on veterinary medicine through yearly Continuing Education.
- Ability to exert moderate force and lift at least 50 lbs.
- Experience instructing undergraduate students a plus.
- Familiarity with federal regulatory requirements as they pertain to livestock and food/fiber research a strong plus.
Job Posting Close Date:
- Open Until F
Please attach all required documents listed below in the attachment box labeled as either "Resume/CV or Resume/Cover Letter" on the application. Multiple attachments may be included in the "Resume/CV" or Resume/Cover Letter" attachment box. Any additional attachments provided outside of the required documents listed below are considered optional.
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae
- Cover Letter
Application Submission Guidelines:
All applicants are required to apply via our Career Site on or before the closing date indicated on the job posting. Applicant inquiries received via email and websites such as Indeed, HigherEdJobs, etc. will not be considered unless the individual has applied to the available position via the PVAMU Career site.
The required documents listed in the above "Required Attachments" section must be attached to the application prior to the job closing date indicated to ensure full consideration for the application submitted. Please contact the Office of Human Resource on or before the closing date indicated above at 936-261-1730 or email@example.com should you need assistance with the online application process.
Background Check Requirements:
All positions are security-sensitive. Applicants are subject to a criminal history investigation, and employment is contingent upon the institution's verification of credentials and/or other information required by the institution's procedures, including the completion of the criminal history check.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Veterans/Disability Employer committed to diversity.
To apply, visit https://tamus.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/PVAMU_External/job/Prairie-View-PVAMU/Research-Veterinarian_R-047738
For more than 140 years, Prairie View A&M University (PVAMU) has been igniting passion in its students. With an established reputation for producing engineers, nurses and educators, PVAMU offers baccalaureate degrees, masters degrees and doctoral degree programs through nine colleges and schools. The University has an enrollment of more than 8,500 students. Designated an institution of "the first class" in the Texas Constitution, PVAMU is the second-oldest public institution of higher education in the state and a member of The Texas A&M University System. The University is dedicated to fulfilling its land-grant mission of achieving excellence in teaching, research and service.
PVAMU is conveniently located near the rapidly growing residential and commercial area known as the Northwest Houston Corridor. The developing Northwest Houston Corridor offers newly developed suburban communities, a variety of shopping and dining near the Houston Premium Outlets and is a short, 35-minute commute into downtown Houston. For more information, visit www.pvamu.edu. Your career opportunities with a "University of the first class" begins here!
Prairie View A&M University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Veterans/Disability Employer.
If you need assistance in applying for this job, please contact (936) 261-1730.
Copyright 2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency