Clinical Research Veterinarian (Gene Therapy Program)
The University of Pennsylvania, the largest private employer in Philadelphia, is a world-renowned leader in education, research, and innovation. This historic, Ivy League school consistently ranks among the top 10 universities in the annual U.S. News & World Report survey. Penn has 12 highly-regarded schools that provide opportunities for undergraduate, graduate and continuing education, all influenced by Penn's distinctive interdisciplinary approach to scholarship and learning. As an employer Penn has been ranked nationally on many occasions with the most recent award from Forbes who named Penn one of America's Best Employers By State in 2021.
Penn offers a unique working environment within the city of Philadelphia. The University is situated on a beautiful urban campus, with easy access to a range of educational, cultural, and recreational activities. With its historical significance and landmarks, lively cultural offerings, and wide variety of atmospheres, Philadelphia is the perfect place to call home for work and play.
The University offers a competitive benefits package that includes excellent healthcare and tuition benefits for employees and their families, generous retirement benefits, a wide variety of professional development opportunities, supportive work and family benefits, a wealth of health and wellness programs and resources, and much more.
COVID-19 vaccination is a requirement for all positions at the University of Pennsylvania. New hires are expected to be fully vaccinated before beginning work at the University. For more information about Penn's vaccine requirements and the use of Penn Open Pass, visit the Penn COVID-19 Response website for the latest information.
Posted Job Title
Clinical Research Veterinarian (Gene Therapy Program)
Job Profile Title
Associate Director E
Job Description Summary
The Gene Therapy Program (GTP) is entering a new era of unprecedented opportunity with the great potential to reshape the face of medicine as we know it. Our discoveries have set the stage for successful treatments and possibly even cures for devastating genetic diseases.
The laboratory of Dr. Jim Wilson, at GTP of the University of Pennsylvania, has been a leader in the development of innovative vector technology for close to three decades. We have emerged as the "go-to" organization for public and private partners, who want to participate in the gene therapy space. Currently, we are positioned to lead another round of vector innovation and establish pre-clinical and clinical proof-of-concept in therapeutic applications of in-vivo genome editing.
Continuation of all GTP positions is contingent upon funding.
The Gene Therapy Program (GTP) is seeking an experienced Clinical Research Veterinarian to join our Program in Comparative Medicine team which supports a diverse research portfolio aimed at the discovery and development of novel gene therapies.
The Clinical Research Veterinarian will provide both veterinary care and direct support to in vivo testing services that range from target identification through preclinical drug development. As a member of a dynamic scientific project team, the Clinical Research Veterinarian will take a lead role in developing and validating small and large animal models; reviewing and preparing study and animal care and use protocols; using advanced bio methodologies to administer test and control articles; performing noninvasive physiologic monitoring; training technical and research staff; coordinating study-related activities; and analyzing and reporting data for infectious, systemic, and neurologic therapeutic areas which will require a fundamental understanding of the test article mechanism of action. This individual will also ensure quality animal supply for research via rigorous vendor record and program review combined with regularly scheduled vendor audits.
All work is performed within state-of-the-art GLP-compliant, AAALAC-accredited, USDA-registered, and PHS-assured facilities. The candidate will have work responsibilities across GTP's research enterprise currently consisting of over 150,000 sq. ft. of animal facilities expanding across three research sites in Philadelphia and Conshohocken, Pennsylvania.
This position will also provide consultation, oversight and direct clinical care activities to multiple laboratory animal species used within GTP; including but not limited to mice, rats, hamsters, ferrets, dogs, pigs, and both old and new world nonhuman primates. The individual will diagnose disease conditions and provide treatment plans; execute preventive medicine programs in rodent and large animals; manage rodent health surveillance programs; attend clinical rounds; and record and maintain accurate records in accordance with good documentation practices and federal regulations.
In addition to research support, the Clinical Research Veterinarian will assist the Senior Director(s) with ensuring compliance with AAALAC, USDA, OLAW, Good Laboratory Practice (GLP) and other worldwide regulatory requirements. The individual will also assist GTP's IACUC Specialist in the development of Institutional Animal Care and Use protocols; review and author standard operating procedures; and training staff in animal care and use.
- DVM or VMD degree from an AVMA accredited College of Veterinary Medicine and 5-7 years of experience or equivalent combination of education and experience is required. Minimum of 2 years of experience with rodent and nonhuman primate clinical care is desirable.
- Licensure to practice veterinary medicine in at least one state
- DACLAM, preferred
- USDA Accreditation
- DEA registration may be required
Skills and Competencies:
- The candidate will demonstrate strong surgical, anesthesia, and clinical skills in a variety of laboratory animal species. The candidate will also demonstrate the ability to troubleshoot unforeseen complications to preserve the integrity of a study while also maintaining the highest integrity of animal welfare and well-being.
- The candidate will have an advanced ability to design, plan and perform robust and efficient experiments that lead to clear decisions to advance the discovery and development of novel gene therapies.
- The candidate will demonstrate the ability to work with others toward a shared goal, The candidate will actively participate in, share responsibility and rewards with, and contribute to the capability of project teams.
- This position requires collaboration across functional units within and outside of the Program in Comparative Medicine. The candidate will ensure that members of the team are informed and updated through regular and consistent communication. He/she will give and receive constructive feedback. The candidate is expected to keep the manager informed about progress and problems.
- Independently balances clinical load and research support while preserving the quality and integrity of each.
- Shows insight into the root-causes of problems and issues that may arise; Effectively solves problems with creative, efficient solutions; Thinks outside the box' to find options. Gathers and analyzes data and effectively.
- Knowledge of drug development process is preferred.
- Effectively applies knowledge of current technology trends to optimize drug discovery, development and lifecycle management processes across key functional areas.
Job Location - City, State
Department / School
Perelman School of Medicine
$74,476.00 - $117,086.00
Salary offers are made based on the candidate's qualifications, experience, skills, and education as they directly relate to the requirements of the position, as well as internal and market factors and grade profile.
Affirmative Action Statement
Penn adheres to a policy that prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, creed, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected class.
Background check required after a conditional job offer is made. Consideration of the background check will be tailored to the requirements of the job.
- Health, Life, and Flexible Spending Accounts: Penn offers comprehensive medical, prescription, behavioral health, dental, vision, and life insurance benefits to protect you and your family's health and welfare. You can also use flexible spending accounts to pay for eligible health care and dependent care expenses with pre-tax dollars.
- Tuition: Take advantage of Penn's exceptional tuition benefits. You, your spouse, and your dependent children can get tuition assistance here at Penn. Your dependent children are also eligible for tuition assistance at other institutions.
- Retirement: Penn offers generous retirement plans to help you save for your future. Penn's Basic, Matching, and Supplemental retirement plans allow you to save for retirement on a pre-tax or Roth basis. Choose from a wide variety of investment options through TIAA and Vanguard.
- Time Away from Work: Penn provides you with a substantial amount of time away from work during the course of the year. This allows you to relax, take vacations, attend to personal affairs, recover from illness or injury, spend time with family-whatever your personal needs may be.
- Long-Term Care Insurance: In partnership with Genworth Financial, Penn offers faculty and staff (and your eligible family members) long-term care insurance to help you cover some of the costs of long-term care services received at home, in the community or in a nursing facility. If you apply when you're newly hired, you won't have to provide proof of good health or be subject to underwriting requirements. Eligible family members must always provide proof of good health and are subject to underwriting.
- Wellness and Work-life Resources: Penn is committed to supporting our faculty and staff as they balance the competing demands of work and personal life. That's why we offer a wide variety of programs and resources to help you care for your health, your family, and your work-life balance.
- Professional and Personal Development: Penn provides an array of resources to help you advance yourself personally and professionally.
- University Resources: As a member of the Penn community, you have access to a wide range of University resources as well as cultural and recreational activities. Take advantage of the University's libraries and athletic facilities, or visit our arboretum and art galleries. There's always something going on at Penn, whether it's a new exhibit at the Penn Museum, the latest music or theater presentation at the Annenberg Center, or the Penn Relays at Franklin Field to name just a few examples. As a member of the Penn community, you're right in the middle of the excitement-and you and your family can enjoy many of these activities for free.
- Discounts and Special Services: From arts and entertainment to transportation and mortgages, you'll find great deals for University faculty and staff. Not only do Penn arts and cultural centers and museums offer free and discounted admission and memberships to faculty and staff. You can also enjoy substantial savings on other goods and services such as new cars from Ford and General Motors, cellular phone service plans, movie tickets, and admission to theme parks.
- Flexible Work Hours: Flexible work options offer creative approaches for completing work while promoting balance between work and personal commitments. These approaches involve use of non-traditional work hours, locations, and/or job structures.
- Penn Home Ownership Services: Penn offers a forgivable loan for eligible employees interested in buying a home or currently residing in West Philadelphia, which can be used for closing costs or home improvements.
- Adoption Assistance: Penn will reimburse eligible employees on qualified expenses in connection with the legal adoption of an eligible child, such as travel or court fees, for up to two adoptions in your household.
To learn more, please visit: https://www.hr.upenn.edu/PennHR/benefits-pay
To apply, visit https://wd1.myworkdaysite.com/en-US/recruiting/upenn/careers-at-penn/job/Translational-Research-Laboratories/Clinical-Research-Veterinarian--Gene-Therapy-Program-_JR00053253-1
Copyright 2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency jeid-086076a8857524419f027a65e0ab6911